History


In the folds of the mountains of the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands in South Africa nestles the small town of Greytown. During the early 1900′s Greytown had a flourishing farming community and the congregation of the local Dutch Reformed Church had many members. When significant numbers of children were orphaned as a result of the big flu epidemic, the Church in the then province of Natal decided to establish a children’s home to accommodate the orphans of deceased members of the Church.

The Home started with 6 children in 1919 and over the years the number of children grew amongst other reasons due to –

  • the worldwide economic crisis of the 1930′s,
  • severe droughts resulting in the collapse of many farming communities, and
  • the devastating impact of the Second World War.

The building complexes were expanded accordingly and at the moment the Home is registered to accommodate 250 children between the ages of 0 and 18 years.

What started out as a small orphanage for children of deceased members of the Dutch Reformed Church and the subsequent human tragedies in the world had grown into the present facilities. The expansion of the facilities can now be viewed as a visionary decision which fulfils an indispensable role as safe refuge for the shadow children of our modern society.


Invest in a child

Invest in the future!